It goes without saying that every keen golfer needs a golf bag to tote around their clubs, balls, and tees. There’s no way you could make it around the fairway without one. There are all kinds of golf bags on the market, however, so picking one that best suits your needs can seem challenging.
In order to find the best golf bags, we reviewed dozens of the most popular offerings available. We compared them on a range of factors, including size, material, durability, capacity, ease of use, and any handy extra features. Plus, we checked out average customer reviews to find which models consumers love.
Although it was a close call, we ultimately chose the Sun Mountain 2019 C-130 Cart Bag as our top pick. Everything about it is carefully designed to make your golfing experience simpler and more enjoyable. All the pockets are easily accessible with the bag in the cart and the Smart Strap System stops it from twisting or moving about.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Golf Bags
|Best Overall||Sun Mountain 2019 C-130 Cart Bag||4.8|
|Runner Up||Founders Club Premium Cart Bag||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||PROSiMMON Tour 14 Way Cart Golf Bag||4.3|
|Best Golf Cart Bag||Bag Boy Golf Chiller Cart Bag||4.5|
|Best Golf Stand Bag||TaylorMade 2019 Flextech Crossover Stand Golf Bag||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Sun Mountain 2019 C-130 Cart Bag
A golf bag should primarily be functional, and the Sun Mountain 2019 C-130 Cart Bag certainly fits that bill. With 10 zippered pockets (two velour-lined for valuables and one water resistant) and 14 individual full-length dividers, this golf bag can hold all your clubs and belongings easily. It also features an integrated putter well that both protects your putter and keeps it readily available at all times. Thanks to the reverse orientation top, it’s much easier to access your clubs while strapped to your cart. It also features a padded shoulder strap for comfortable carrying to and from the cart.
The Sun Mountain C-130 is available in 12 colors, so you’re sure to find one that you love or that matches the rest of your gear. Although the price varies by a few dollars either way, depending on which color option you choose, this golf bag will set you back somewhere in the region of $250. Granted, it’s not cheap, but this is an excellent bag for an avid golfer.
Sun Mountain 2019 C-130 Cart Bag Key Features:
- Cooler pocket is perfect for drinks and snacks
- Comes with matching rain hood
- Three built-in top handles make this bag easier to move
Our Runner Up Pick: Founders Club Premium Cart Bag
If you’re looking for a solid golf bag with a lower price tag than our top pick, the Founders Club Premium Cart Bag is an excellent choice. The 14 dividers with rubberized protective slots will keep your clubs organized and ready to use at all times. It’s worth noting that the putter holes will fit putters with oversized grips, but not jumbo grips. There are plenty of pockets, too, for holding tees, balls, valuables, and other accessories. Plus, you get a cooler pocket that can hold around a quart of cold drinks to keep thirst at bay on the links.
Getting this bag too and from your golf cart, and lifting it into position, is made easy with the carry strap and two handles. The reinforced base adds extra strength to this golf bag and helps stop your clubs wearing through the bottom over time. All this comes at a very reasonable price of $150.
Founders Club Premium Cart Bag Key Features:
- Two color choices available
- Includes matching rain hood for wet weather
- Straps easily secure this golf bag to either power carts or hand carts
Best Budget Pick: PROSiMMON Tour 14 Way Cart Golf Bag
The PROSiMMON Tour 14 Way Cart Golf Bag might not quite have the quality and range of features of our two favorites, but what it does have is an appealing $85 price tag. That’s not to say this is a poor quality golf bag; it wouldn’t stand up to the top models out there, but it does its job well and at a bargain price. It’s ideal for occasional golfers or as a backup bag for your spare clubs.
The 14-way dividers will keep your clubs organized, but they aren’t reinforced, so they aren’t as durable and don’t offer as much protection as those with rubberized dividers. There’s also an optional external putter tube, which is great for those with larger heads. We love the range of pockets and accessory holders, such as the Velcro glove holder and the umbrella strap. Of course, you get all your standard pockets, too, including full-length side pockets and an insulated cooler pocket.
PROSiMMON Tour 14 Way Cart Golf Bag Key Features:
- Ball pocket is deep and roomy
- Two color choices
- Soft padded pocket for valuables
Best Golf Cart Bag: Bag Boy Golf Chiller Cart Bag
If you’re someone who enjoys a few cans of beer as you make your way across the fairway, the Bag Boy Golf Chiller Cart Bag might be just the option for you. The large cooler bag can fit six 12-ounce cans and is even removable from the main body of the golf bag. But, even if you don’t make use of the sizable cooler, this is still an excellent golf bag. The 14 full-length divers help keep your clubs where they should be and easy to access at all times. There’s also an oversized putter well for putters with extra-large grips.
The Bag Boy is crafted from study 420 denier nylon and has a reinforced base for extra durability. The ergonic soft-grip handles make it easier to lift this bag onto whichever kind of cart you choose to use. All this comes priced between $160 and $180, depending on which color you opt for.
Bag Boy Golf Chiller Cart Bag Key Features:
- Top-Lok Technology allows a secure cart attachment
- Plenty of pockets for all kinds of accessories
- Six color choices available
Best Golf Stand Bag: TaylorMade 2019 Flextech Stand Golf Bag
Like all stand bags, the TaylorMade 2019 Flextech Stand Golf Bag is meant to be carried, so its crossover straps and lightweight design are much appreciated. Available in either gray or black, this golf bag looks great, but it’s also highly functional. The $235 price point makes it one of the most expensive in our top five, but it’s definitely worth the money, if you have the budget.
Although it features slightly fewer and more compact pockets than most cart bags, to make it more easily portable, it still has plenty of room for all the essentials. There are a total of 10 pockets, including a cooler pocket with a drain and microfiber-lined, seam-sealed pocket for valuables. It has room for 14 clubs with reinforced, well-padded dividers. The stand is easy to use and will keep your golf bag stable on all kinds of terrain.
TaylorMade 2019 Flextech Stand Golf Bag Key Features:
- Features a zip-off ball pocket
- High quality Flextech stand system
- Self-adjusting strap for more comfortable carrying
Who Should Buy a Golf Bag
If you play golf regularly enough to need your own set of clubs, then you’ll also need a golf bag to store them in and to transport them around the green. You can hardly bring your clubs to the course in a grocery bag, after all! Golf bags feature dividers to keep your clubs safe and organized, plus a range of pockets to hold all your essential accessories, such as balls, tees, beverages, and an umbrella and/or waterproof gear in case the weather turns bad.
In short, any keen golfer with their own set of clubs needs to buy a golf bag.
Important Features to Consider
A golf bag should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a golf bag:
- Cart bag vs. stand bag. Perhaps the first thing to decide is whether you need a cart bag or a stand bag. A cart bag is designed to be strapped to either a powered golf cart or a hand golf cart. As such, it can’t stand up independently. Since you’ll only be carrying it to and from the cart, it tends to have plenty of storage. A stand bag is designed to be carried between holes and has an integrated stand to keep it upright as you make your shot. An average stand bag is lightweight and often has less storage pockets than a similar cart bag.
- Dividers. Dividers are set into the main body of a golf bag to separate various golf clubs. Full-length dividers are best, as they span the whole length of the bag to provide better separation and more protection for your clubs. Most golf bags feature 14-part dividers, but some have an extra 15th pocket for a large-grip putter.
- Pockets. A golf bag’s pockets are designed to hold all your other golfing essentials. Most bags feature convenient pockets for balls and tees, pockets lined with velour or similar for valuables, cooler pockets for drinks, and full-length side pockets for larger items, such as waterproofs.
- Carry straps. All golf bags feature carry straps, but it’s more important that these are well-padded and comfortable on stand golf bags, as you’ll be carrying them much further than you’d carry a cart bag.
- Durability. Look at the overall durability of any golf bags you’re considering. They should have good, strong stitching and be made from rugged materials, such as high denier nylon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I put in my golf bag?
Anything that you’ll need for golfing should go in your golf bag. Of course, it will contain your clubs, balls, and tees, but you might also need to pack gloves, an umbrella, waterproof gear, drinks, and sunscreen.
Which clubs go where in my golf bag?
There’s no set order in which clubs must be placed in your golf bag, but many golfers do like to order their clubs so they know where to find what they need without hesitation. The best way to order your golf clubs is with the driver at the top and every other club ordered from longest to shortest going down the bag, finishing with the putter at the bottom (some bags even have dedicated putter pockets in the very bottom spot).
How do you pack a golf bag for travel?
If you’ll be travelling with your golf clubs, you’ll need an additional case for your golf bag. You can buy both hard cases and soft cases. Soft cases are more lightweight, but hard cases offer more protection.
What are golf bag pockets for?
Golf bag pockets are for anything you need to take golfing, apart from your clubs. In addition to gear you need to golf with, you might also use pockets to store personal items, like your phone, keys, and wallet.
Other Golf Bags We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other golf bags. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best golf bags list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Golf Cart Bags
This high-end golf bag has a range of excellent features, such as a magnetic rangefinder pocket and two cool pockets with drains.
- Full-length dividers with room for 14 clubs
- Forward facing pockets easily acceptable from cart
- Integrated cell phone sleeve
The large cooler pocket in this golf bag holds a whopping 10 12-ounce cans.
- 14-way top with full-length dividers
- Two color options
- Fleece-lined pocket for valuables
The 15-way top includes a dedicated well for an oversized putter, all with full-length dividers.
- Seven zippered pockets
- Lightweight enough to carry, if desired
- Rubberized feet on the bottom for stability
Perhaps the most notable feature of this golf bag is its power pockets, which can charge mobile devices as you play.
- Two waterproof velour-lined pockets for valuables
- Three easy-access magnetic pockets
- Large cooler compartment
This is an older version of our top pick, which has the majority of the same excellent features but without the updated design.
- Three velour-lined valuables pockets
- Cooler pocket
- Umbrella holder
Take advantage of the 14-way top with full-length dividers and oversized putter well.
- Seven zippered pockets
- Large cooler
- Four color choices
Despite its affordable price and lightweight design, this golf bag has all the essential feature you need to hit the fairway.
- Plenty of pockets, including cooler pocket
- Upper and lower umbrella clips
- Glove holder
Golf Stand Bags
With 11 color options to choose from, this is the ideal stand bag for someone who wants both style and substance.
- Rubberized putter and driver wells
- 14-way club organizer
- Ergonomically designed double shoulder strap
The four-way top might not provide each club with its own pocket but, if you don’t mind that, this is a solid affordable choice.
- Weighs just 4.3 pounds
- Eight pockets
- Grab handles allow easy lifting
Heavier and bulkier than most stand bags, it has all the size and storage of a cart bag but with a stand attachment.
- Can also be used as a cart bag
- 14-way top
- Six color options
The three-layer crossover straps make this golf stand bag surprisingly comfortable to carry.
- Weighs just 4.5 pounds
- Nine storage pockets
- Umbrella holder
This is similar to our top stand bag but from an older generation and at a more affordable price.
- Easy-access water bottle pocket
- Foam hip pad for more comfortable carrying
- Water resistant pocket for valuables
Not the most feature rich golf bag, but it’s lightweight, durable, and affordable.
- Four-way top
- Large garment pocket
- Anti-split stand
Choose your favorite NFL team and have a golf bag that’s emblazoned with their colors and logos.
- Comfortable, well-padded strap
- Cooler pocket
- 14-way top with full-length dividers
Cost: $150 to $200
Mini Golf Bags
This compact golf bag is ideal for use at par 3 courses or the driving range.
- Adjustable carry sling
- Weighs just 2 pounds
- Fits up to eight clubs
A mini zippered golf bag that holds six to seven clubs, including the driver.
- Detachable shoulder strap
- Two side pockets
- Rigid, well-padded body
This lightweight stand bag has a two way top and can accommodate six clubs comfortably.
- Weighs less than two pounds
- Eight color choices
- Rugged carry strap
Cost: $35 to $40
This basic mini golf bag is great for travelling with or for very occasional use.
- Padded should strap
- Handy side pocket
- Holds six blubs
Despite its small size, this stand bag has a range of excellent features that make it a pleasure to use.
- Fits five clubs with full-length dividers
- Tee holders
- Four zippered pockets
This compact golf bag is great for beginner golfers without a full set of clubs or for the driving range.
- Accommodates seven clubs
- Weighs just three pounds
- Plenty of storage space