When it comes to sports with some of the most nuances to it, golf is near the top of the list. Being technically sound along with having ample patience is a prerequisite to be successful at golf. From professional trainers to golf swing analyzers to rangefinders to practice nets, there is a bevy of options to improve your game. Besides tools to improve your game, there are necessities such as golf bags. And lastly, and probably most importantly, there is a wide assortment of clubs to choose from. With golf being a sport that attracts a wide spectrum of users and varied skill levels, the market for golf drivers is equal in comparison.
With that said, we have reviewed dozens of golf drivers so we can bring you our top picks. We looked at adjustability, age, shaft flex, the skill level required, and any other handy extra features. Plus, we checked out the average customer reviews on Amazon to find which models consumers love.
The TaylorMade Men’s RBZ Black Driver was our top pick due to its value across the board. It’s forgiving while also possessing a large, 460cc titanium head with an adjustable loft sleeve, which allows for optimized launch and trajectory. This club is also friendly to all levels of golf abilities. While possessing a traditional look and feel, this driver also provides a light and crisp sound.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Golf Drivers
|Best Overall Golf Driver||TaylorMade Men's RBZ Black Driver, Black||4.4|
|Best Golf Driver with Adjustable Perimeter Weighting||Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver||4.5|
|Best Budget Golf Driver||PGX Offset Golf Driver||4.0|
|Best Golf Driver for Beginners||King Par TEC Plus 460 cc Ti Matrix Driver Men's||3.9|
|Best Youth Golf Driver||Paragon Rising Star Kids Junior Driver Ages 11-13 Blue||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Golf Driver Overall: TaylorMade Men’s RBZ Black Driver
The TaylorMade Men’s RBZ Black Driver was our top pick. This is a driver that all levels of skill can appreciate due to its premium matrix white tie 55 shaft, which will provide maximum distance along with a smooth feel. This club offers three flex options: regular, stiff, and senior.
Another benefit of this driver is the ultra-light titanium core that strategically positions mass for higher launch and trajectory control. This set is also available in three different configurations.
TaylorMade Men’s RBZ Black Driver Key Features:
- New satin black finish with elegant detailing to improve alignment
- An adjustable loft sleeve allows for optimized launch and trajectory
- An optimal speed pocket performance for high launch and low spin, resulting in more distance
Best Golf Driver with Adjustable Perimeter Weighting: Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver
The Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver is our adjustable driver pick list for numerous reasons. One of those being the sophisticated design along with the technology infused into the driver. While not necessarily ideal for beginners, this driver, while pricier than others, makes up for it due to its ability to boost your performance.
This driver employs a new technology called Flash Face, which helps golfers obtain more ball speed for more distance. This driver’s architecture was created by artificial intelligence. This is the first known instance of using A. I. in the golf industry to create a different face.
Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver Key Features:
- Adjustable perimeter weighting
- Jailbreak technology
- Ball flight control
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning
Best Budget Golf Driver: PGX Offset Golf Driver
If you’re looking for a golf driver that is easier on the wallet along with being user friendly, then the PGX Offset Golf Driver is a perfect option. With a headcover included, this driver includes a color combination of matte black, white, and green to deliver a driver that is clean and sleek. One reason this is a preferred driver for those more cost-conscious is the high ROI that numerous users have reported back after purchasing.
This is a great set for the casual weekend player who still wants to perform well and steadily improve his game. Also, many users have reported no dropoff in distance from this club.
PGX Offset Golf Driver Key Features:
- Anti slice technology
- Offset driver
- An ample amount for a sweet spot due to being 460cc’s
Best Golf Driver for Beginners: King Par TEC Plus 460 cc Ti Matrix Driver Men’s
We’ve all been at that point where we like this new activity we’re doing, but we’re just not very good at it yet. In other words, this is the beginner stage. And when it comes to drivers, The King Par TEC Plus 460 cc Ti Matrix Driver is the perfect option for those green behind the ears.
With an excellent driver and 460CC volume, this driver will ensure confidence in the newest golf users while boosting their performance.
King Par TEC Plus 460 cc Ti Matrix Driver Men’s Key Features:
- A large sweet spot for maximum forgiveness
- Excellent well-rounded driver suitable for novices
- Matching lightweight graphite shaft
Best Youth Golf Driver: Paragon Rising Star Kids Junior Driver Ages 11-13 Blue
While golf is typically marketed toward adults, golf is very much a game for children. With that said, it’s imperative you help your kids get off to a positive start and that entails selecting an appropriate driver. The Paragon Rising Star Kids Junior Driver is a good selection due to being a well-rounded driver, which will help instill the fundamentals.
This driver consists of a 340cc titanium matrix driver for maximum forgiveness along with including a matching hardcover. And for the icing on the cake, this particular club has a manufacturer’s lifetime warranty on the graphite shafts.
Paragon Rising Star Kids Junior Driver Key Features
- Available in right-hand and left-hand.
- Golf Digest Hot List Gold Award-winning series.
- Good loft on the club
Who Should Buy a Golf Driver
If you’re looking for a hobby to increase your daily activity levels or looking for a hobby to replace a less demanding sport, investing in golf (and drivers) is a no brainer. There are several different types of drivers to cater to a wide assortment of skill levels and preferences. It’s important to ease yourself into the sport of golf and opt for clubs that match your skill level. As you further develop your confidence and skill level, feel free to invest in the pricier clubs that have a few extra assortments with them. Golf drivers also make an excellent gift to the golf enthusiast along with someone looking to get started.
Important Features to Consider
When it comes to selecting golf drivers, there’s a bevy of options to choose from. This can be confusing, but it doesn’t have to. Here are some of the more important features to consider.
- Shaft. The shaft is made of steel, titanium, or graphite. Steel is the heaviest while the graphite and titanium provide a lighter feel which can help clubhead speed; thus increase distance. Lastly, flexes are available in categories such as extra stiff, tour, stiff, regular, senior, and ladies.
- Size. Drivers are equipped with a large clubhead to provide an ample sweet spot and forgiveness. The driver has the largest hitting area of any club but still is available in various sizes. 460cc (cubic centimeters) is the maximum size allowed by the USGA. With that said, smaller head sizes (such as 440cc and 420cc) are preferred by some golfers since it allows for improved shot-making ability. If you’re a beginner, it’s advised to stick with the 460cc since the smaller head size requires more skill and experience.
- Material. The typical driver head is either titanium or composite materials. Neither is right or wrong. Instead, it simply comes down to your personal preference. When electing for titanium, expect it to be strong, long-lasting, and lightweight. This combination typically leads to helping golfers swing faster for greater distance while still allowing for a larger margin of error. On the other hand, composite clubheads are a combination of numerous materials constructed into a single head. You’ll be presented with options such as carbon in the rear of the clubhead while heavier materials like tungsten being added to help increase your club’s perimeter weight.
- Length. Between all your clubs, the driver is the longest. For men, the measurement is typically between 45 and 48 inches. As for women, it’s from 43 to 44 inches. At the end of the day, the size you choose depends upon on in control you feel of the driver.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a golf driver and how does it work?
A golf driver is the longest club that you’ll have. The man purpose of drivers is to launch the ball long distances down the fairway. When it comes to picking your driver, there are seven aspects to consider, which also entail how it works. While some are more important than others, each factor must be considered still. The seven areas to pick your golf driver are skill level, size, and shape of the clubhead and clubface, color, loft, shaft flexibility, and adjustability.
Should I use a 9.5 or 10.5 golf driver?
The biggest difference and areas for consideration between these concerns your accuracy and distance. There isn’t a clear and cut answer. However, typically, the more of a beginner you are, the more it makes sense to learn into using a 10.5-degree golf driver. However, don’t forget to factor in your swing speed. Here’s an example, if you help getting the ball in the air or simply, your shot trajectory is too low—choose the 10.5-degree driver.
How high should you hit your driver?
There isn’t a universally accepted answer in neither inches or centimeters for tee height on your drives since there are multiple variables at play each time you play a round. Everything is also relative to the specific driver that you use. Besides the number of drivers on the market, the very nature in which you swing a golf club factors into this question as well. Lastly, you’ll have to consider conditions such as the weather.
How do you size a golf driver?
When selecting your golf drivers, size matters. Besides the type of club, factors such as your swing style, your posture, your skill level, and your height matter. If you’re completely new to golf, it’ll be ideal to get professional help at a store to help you select the perfect club for your height and unique makeup. With that said, there’s a theory that the longer the shaft length, the greater the shot distance. This is a myth. Even though a shaft of up to 48inches is allowed, the average driver on the professional tour circuit is 44.5 inches, while the average length sold at stores is around 45.5. This is all the more reason to get some assistance if you’re fairly inexperienced.
Other Golf Drivers We Reviewed
In addition to the golf drivers that made our top 5 list, we also reviewed 20 additional drivers. These didn’t make our top spots, but they are nevertheless, excellent options for varying skill levels and goals geared toward the sport. There is information paired with each one to give you a more informed assessment of each listing.
Women’s Golf Drivers
This club is perfect for the beginner or even the intermediate user. This club contains a lighter shaft amongst many other things which will enable you to obtain maximum clubhead speed and distance for slower swing speeds.
- Golf club loft is 15 degrees
- Titanium face
- Crown alignment feature
A price-conscious club that offers maximum forgiveness for women of all levels that includes graphite for the shaft material makeup.
- Headcover included
- Offset driver
- Oversized driver
A unique driver that includes the My Fly 8 with a SmartPad-8. This easily adjusts your loft settings, which further helps you fine-tune your trajectory and distance.
- Precision Milled Face
- Dual Roll Technology
- Optimized Sweet Zone with E9 Technology
An industry-leading driver that offers great speed pocket performance for high launch and low spin; thus resulting in more distance.
- Ultralite Titanium core
- Premium matrix White tie 55 shaft
- Adjustable driver
This driver is extremely light on the wallet but still stands up to other drivers priced well above it. This driver also features dual sole weighting combined with a sleek design.
- Alloy head material
- The shaft consists of powerbilt blackout graphite
- Contains a powerbilt custom velvet grip
This driver is specifically formulated for women along with being constructed with new ultralite shafts helping to generate more clubhead speed, higher launch, and improved overall performance.
- Individually optimized weight, length, loft, and design
- Speed Pocket Technology to help increase launch and ball speed
- Designed with a low and deep center of gravity leading to getting the ball in the air easier
Senior Golf Drivers
This reasonably priced driver possesses a 515cc volume which is going to provide a much more forgiving head on off-center shots.
- 515cc Volume
- Off-set hosel
- Draw enhancing
This unique and player-friendly designed club makes squaring the clubface at impact and drilling your tee shots practically automatic with its technology. This highly forgiving driver is helpful to beginners and can still be of value to intermediates.
- Zero Rotation Technology
- 14.5-degree loft
- Graphite shaft with stainless steel clubhead
This cost-friendly driver contains a high-quality beta-titanium face that far exceeds the USGA maximum limits. While it’s not allowed on the professional tour circuit, this club is a viable option for the weekend warrior who just wants to have fun and give himself the best shot of continuous quality shots.
- 520cc Size
- Premium black velvet grip
- Premium lightweight graphite shaft
This driver is not only legal for tournament play, but also is one that can help you obtain more control and accuracy than the standard drivers. This is due to the shorter length, small clubhead, and the iron-like leading edge which grants you the ability to swing it more like an iron.
- The ability to swing it like a 7-iron without the drop in performance
- More loft for higher launch, longer carry, and less spin.
- Highly versatile
Youth Golf Drivers
This well-rounded and price-conscious driver is appropriate for kids of various skill levels. Also of note is that this driver has a great grip balance.
- Includes headcover
- Flexible composite shaft and soft rubber grip
- 10-degree loft
This well-rounded and price-conscious driver is appropriate for female kid golfers of various skill levels. Also of note is that this driver has a great grip balance.
- Includes headcover
- Flexible composite shaft and soft rubber grip
- 10-degree loft
If you’re looking for a more technologically savvy and high performing driver for your child, this is an excellent option. This driver is the first of its kind to achieve true optimization of aerodynamics and low CG
- Speed back technology
- CNC precision milled face
- Dual roll technology
This budget-conscious children’s driver contains titanium matrix woods, which will help your child launch the ball higher and farther.
- 15-degree loft and 350cc head
- Great technology for its price
- Low kick-point and graphite shaft
This budget-friendly, award-winning, and highly forgiving driver is an excellent option for girls looking to start or continuing to hone in their fundamentals.
- Golf Digest Hot List Gold Award-winning driver
- Contains an oversize 340cc titanium matrix driver to grant more forgiveness
- Available in right-hand and left-hand.
This is a driver that’s probably best not suited for a child’s first driver, especially if they’re on the younger side. This driver isn’t as light compared to other beginning drivers. This is more for an intermediate child who has some experience behind them. However, thanks to the precise nature in which this driver was built and the technology behind, expect to be producing higher trajectories along with increased forgiveness.
- My Fly 8 with SmartPad-8 to help with loft settings
- F8 adjustable cg-2 CG positions in the back and heel
- Precision milled face
Budget Golf Drivers
This is a driver is strictly for the recreational golfer who simply enjoys the game and isn’t worried about the small technicalities and rules. With a driver size of 520CC, this far exceeds the limits as to what’s allowed in tournament play. However, it is a good club for beginners on a budget who simply want to ensure they hit the ball cleanly each time.
- Offers maximum forgiveness
- Ultra-large face area to boost confidence
- Available in different lofts
This driver contains industry-leading aerodynamics along with a precisely located CG leading to you consistently launching the ball and gaining more distance. This cost-friendly driver is designed for the intermediate or advanced player.
- Equipped with an aerodynamic clubhead design
- Contains a premium V6 flex graphite shaft
- Has a tour pride grip leading to an enhanced feel.
For the more performance-oriented golfer, this technological-savvy driver will lead to players feeling more relaxed and explosive at tee resulting in improved distances.
- CNC cup face technology
- Aerodynamic 460CC deep face design
- Lightweight titanium 2041 head
This driver contains a stiff flex that hits long and high while staying straight. It’s worth noting that this driver is strictly ideal for recreational use as it’s 515cc, which is not allowed in tournaments.
- Standard Black Velvet Grip
- Stiff Flex Acer Velocity Graphite Shaft
- Headcover Included